At Greely Sand & Gravel™, we believe that community involvement has the power to bring positive, measurable change to our community. The Pyper family and GS&G employees regularly give back to the Greely, Eastern Ontario and Ottawa communities through social responsibility, sponsoring local events, product donations, volunteerism, collaboration, sharing expertise and getting involved.
2022 Community Involvement:
- Greely Sand & Gravel™ was proud to donate to the Osgoode Village Community Association for its annual Canada Day celebration. Featuring many activities for the entire family to enjoy, including fireworks, live music and beer tents, we were thrilled to support this fun, family event.
- In support of the Bethany Hope Centre, Greely Sand & Gravel provided donations of Greely’s Topdressing Soil and Adventure Playground Mulch. The Bethany Hope Centre supports vulnerable parents and their children, and our donations were used to support the organization’s garden & growing potential and to make an outdoor play area safer & more comfortable for children.
- One of the activities that students at Pope John Paul II school in Hammond enjoyed for Catholic Education Week centred around spreading joy. The students painted and wrote positive messages on stones and hid them around the schoolyard to spread joy and positivity. Greely Sand & Gravel™ was delighted to donate Riverwash Stone to the cause.
- The Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) in Ottawa is an organization that we strongly support. The hospital’s Healing Earth Garden is designed for long-term patients and children with chronic disorders. The gardens, and the programs associated with them, have the potential to positively impact the hospital community in a number of ways. Greely Sand & Gravel™ donated cubic yard bags of Greely’s Topdressing Soil for organic growing and Cedar Mulch to help with the garden’s upkeep.
- The Ottawa Food Bank’s Community Harvest program grows and collects nutritious, local produce for clients served by Ottawa Food Bank member agencies across the national capital region. Greely Sand & Gravel™ donated gravel this year to their Community Harvest Farm.
- We also donated gravel this year to Holly’s Haven Wildlife Rescue. This wildlife refuge takes in orphaned and injured wild mammals for rehabilitation and release.
- Not only did we sponsor the Ottawa Santa Shuffle in support of the Salvation Army and Bethany Hope Centre, Greely Sand & Gravel employees Samantha Fitzsimmons, Lauren Ripley, Shelley Millar, and Tara Hall laced up their sneakers to participate and show their support.
Greely Sand & Gravel Inc.™ always tries to lend a helping hand to CHEO. In 2020, Greely Sand & Gravel Inc. supported CHEO’s outdoor classroom where French is held at their school. The donation of 3/8″-5/8″ Riverwash Stone, 1 1/2″ Riverwash stone, and Adventure Playground Mulch will allow for the kids to learn through sensory and dexterity. “It’s been so amazing to be outside everyday where we can have the kids explore. We are so grateful!!!!” says Sarah.
For 2020, Greely Sand & Gravel Inc.™ supported the Ottawa Food Garden Project. “Greely Sand and Gravel™, who are also partners to the project, have committed to a significant donation of soil. “We are proud to build upon our longstanding community gardening partnerships throughout Ottawa and support this project to ensure families have what they need to get started”, says Brent Pyper, owner of Greely Sand and Gravel.™”
Greely Sand & Gravel Inc.™ donated organic Topdressing Soil for organic growing and Cedar Mulch for CHEO Hospital’s Healing Garden. A great way to help the lives of young people…
Greely Sand & Gravel Inc.™ has always and will always lend a helping hand to their community. GS&G has sponsored the Lions Clubs of Metcalfe, Greely, and Osgoode, along with the Greely Players, Metcalfe Co-op Nursery, TheWish Foundation in Greely, Winchester Hospital and the Greely Elementary school.
Numerous products, including soils, crushed stone, mulches, sandfill and Ottawa Playground Sand has been provided to the Metcalfe Fair, the Kars Fair, Canada Day and the Winter Carnival in Greely, the Osgoode Care Centre, St. Catherine’s Elementary School, Castor Valley Elementary School, and Shepherds of Good Hope – Hope Garden.
In the spring of 2011, GS&G generously donated $21,650, with the help of our dedicated customers, to support the Breast Cancer Society of Canada.
And in the spring of 2012, GS&G did the impossible, transforming loads of top quality soil, stone, sand and mulch into loads of money for the Childrens’ Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO). GS&G donated $5 from every household load of landscaping supplies, picked up or delivered. As a result, GS&G generously donated $25,380, with the help of our dedicated customers, to support CHEO.
Year after year, Greely Sand & Gravel Inc.™ continues to support CHEO’s Dream of A Lifetime. Greely Sand & Gravel Inc.™ Inc’s giving just keeps on growing!
To honour GS&G for their involvement in the community, we were awarded the Osgoode Ward Special Business Commendation Award “in recognition of outstanding volunteerism that has made significant contributions to ensuring residents have opportunities to become active and involved in the community.”
GS&G provided a helping hand to Greely’s fire department. A pumping station was built on our site to allow easy and quick access to fill their fire trucks with clean water to better serve the Greely area in emergencies.
GS&G has established a Tom Thompson Memorial Scholarship Fund (an award set-up for a long time friend and employee) to encourage education and help support children or grandchildren of their employees.
GS&G is always there to help the local community. We are members of the Greely Business Association (GBA), as well as the Osgoode Ward Business Association (OWBA).